Balderdash

The Random Ruminations and Observations of a Curmudgeon

01 September 2005

Response New Orleans

Everyone has had something to say about New Orleans and the Gulf Coast.  I am as stunned as anyone.  I hope bloggers, and others far more savvy than I, are able to make the necessary connections with those Americans who still use their cognitive functions and establish the links from this disaster to the policies of George Bush.   Tax cuts, war, environmental neglect (if not antagonism) and neglect of emergency response.  I will do the following in bold:

It is four years after 9/11 and uncounted millions have been spent on homeland security…but THIS is the level of competence of our emergency response capability?

If you ask me, GWB has some serious ‘splainin’ to do.  I wonder if there’s a Democrat alive (aside from Mary Landrieux) who’ll demand it.

I want to see, at the very least, the “What if the levee or a canal wall gets breached?” emergency plan.

An extraordinary natural horror that has occurred.  It is unconscionable that human ignorance, arrogance and incompetence have compounded it.